“What do we most need to know at this time?” Mastering Relationships (from Dick Sutphen’s “The Oracle Within”).
This is solely about life partnerships or primary relationships – it fits perfectly with the theme for this month. Dick lists twelve principles that he believes every relationship should have in order to foster the growth of each individual. I will list these below – if you are already committed to someone, this is a great guide to help improve things; if you are unattached, use this as a foundation from which to build a healthy new relationship (if you want one).
1. Love: Each will love as the other wants to be loved.
2. Acceptance: Treasure the other’s uniqueness without expectations of change.
3. Commitment: Both totally commit to the relationship – physically, spiritually, emotionally and financially.
4. Support: Encourage eachother in ways that increase self-esteem.
5. Detachment: Let the little things go.
6. Communication: Openly share yourself, discuss mutual needs and compromise on solutions.
7. Listen: Be willing to appreciate the other person’s position even when you don’t agree.
8. Comfort: Be friends as well as lovers. Let your union be a refuge of balance and harmony.
9. Transcend Anger: Hostility arises only from the expectation of having things your way.
10. Time: Share activities that serve as building blocks of a good relationship.
11. Transcend Blame: Resist the expression of self-pity, which is incompatible with karma.
12. Spirituality: Foster each other’s spiritual growth.