Use one or two drops of the following oils on a tissue or handkerchief, place it in your bag or pocket and inhale when you begin to feel anxious.
Bach Flower Essences
These oral homeopathic remedies can be found in health food or drug stores. Read the instructions on the box or the bottle before using them.
- Rescue Remedy
- Rock Rose
- White Chestnut (to alleviate worry or obsessive thoughts)
Breathe deeply and exhale slowly counting backwards from five – do this at least five times.
Pale blue and pink are very soothing colors – so is green. If you can wear, or, look at objects with this color, it should help to relax you somewhat.
Any creative activity, or hobby, can help you process and release fear. For example, writing in my journal, assists me to make sense of any challenge as well as releasing any negative emotions attached to the issue.
Any physical activity helps to relax the mind by bringing you further into your body.
(All of these positions allow better blood flow to the head or heart, which is calming.)
- Place one hand on your forehead and the other on the back of your head where your skull protrudes slightly – hold for at least three minutes.
- Put your right hand over your heart and hold for five minutes.
- Place one hand on each knee for a minimum of five minutes.
Parks, beaches, the mountains are all great places to get some fresh air and sunshine – this is both physically and mentally recuperative. If you can physically connect with nature, it is far more relaxing than just observing it (i.e. swimming in a lake or the ocean, walking on sand or grass, hugging a tree). Sometimes these places are difficult to get to but sitting, or, pottering around in your garden (if you have one) for a while, will have the same effect.
- Tell yourself repeatedly that everything is going to be OK, you are safe and that this is temporary. My favorite affirmation is: “This too shall pass.”
- If you are shaking during a panic attack, put your arms around yourself, and give yourself, a massive hug.
When All Else Fails…
Ask for help from anyone who is compassionate and trustworthy.
© New Age Power (Helen Papadopoulos)
Permission is granted to copy and redistribute this article on the condition that the content remains intact, full credit is given to the author and that it is distributed freely ~ www.newagepower.net